THE ALMIGHTY JOURNEY OF FAITH 2018: LAY ASIDE EVERY WEIGHT:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. . .
BEFORE WE BEGIN:
Almighty Journey of Faith (AJF) - 2018
A Seven Week 40 Day Consecration
To prepare for the coming Lenten Season we are urging all members and friends of Safe Haven United Church of Christ to participate in our annual consecration, which commences on Ash Wednesday and concludes on Resurrection Sunday. During this period of Lent as we fast and follow the we will ask God to open us up to receive God's spirit and will for our lives. In the last two days of week seven (Passion Week, which includes Good Friday and the Saturday before Easter), we will end the consecration with a full liquid fast.
Consecration, which means to set aside something or someone to be used for divine purpose includes light fasting by eating one balanced meal per day during the week (any meal of your choice). On Sundays, meals are not limited. However, please use your discretion. All selected meals should be wholesome and nutritious. For example, during the week, if you choose breakfast as your meal of the day, we recommend that you eat whole grain cereals or fruits. If you choose lunch or dinner as your meal of the day, it should come from healthy food sources, such as salads, steamed vegetables, rice and broiled fish or chicken. If you are taking medicine and need to have food in your stomach, select fruit, vegetables and/or whole grains. These foods can also be consumed if you feel hungry between meals. Before beginning this or any nutrition and exercise plan, please check with your doctor.
Objective: Our objective in this journey is to focus our faith, renew our spirits and consecrate our minds, bodies, and souls for God. The weekly guide is divided into tow parts as follows:
Part A contains:
Inspiration and Prayer - This section is created to give you guidance biblically and spiritually in your consecration walk. The message from our pastor will give you scriptural direction. A prayer is included for your daily meditation.
Motivation - Read this cheerleading section to help sustain the inner drive needed to navigate the AJF. Encouraging ways to explore your self-motivational skills are included.
Buddy Contract – Choose a partner to help keep you accountable and motivated to see you through the journey.
Part B contains:
Meal Plan – Suggested meals are presented for each day. Some recipes are also included. You are to select one well balanced meal per day, breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Exercise - Suggested exercises are provided to provide a 30 minute work out
Begin this consecration each day in prayer.
- Drink at least 8 - 8oz glasses of water daily. Water is important in virtually all of the functions of the body and is critical to the process of digestion, elimination, lubrication, regulation of body temperature and blood circulation.
- If you become hungry during the day, call your buddy and pray together. Focus your thoughts on God and remember your reasons for taking the Journey. You may eat fruit and/or vegetables to curb your appetite.
- Bake, broil, boil or stew fish, chicken or turkey. When possible eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc. fresh an/or raw. Cooking minimizes the nutritional benefits of some foods.
- Take a multivitamin daily. Vitamins are vital to the proper functioning of the body. The prefix for the word vitamin is "vita" which means life. Vitamins enhance the cells and rejuvenate the body.
- Keep the colon moving. If elimination improves, all body organs work better. Water and fiber are the best ways to keep your body regulated.
- Exercise. According to Medical World News, lack of physical fitness is as much a risk factor in cardiovascular disease as hypertension, high cholesterol and cigarette smoking. Proper exercise is very important to good health.
- Eliminate caffeine from your diet during the fast. People who drink large amounts of caffeinated beverages, such as coffee, tea and sodas, may have increased risk of osteoporosis.
- Try not to eat or drink after 8:00 PM except for fruit or easily digested foods.
- Eliminate or limit sugar, especially white refined sugar. Sugar is an empty carbohydrate. It has no food value. Sugar mollifies the immune system and tends to make us weak and lethargic.
There are many advantages to fasting. There is a spiritual awakening or enhancement that takes place when one fasts. Throughout scripture, fasting is mentioned as a means of getting closer to God. Our normal daily activities act as a distraction and we need to be more in tune with our inner selves. Fasting accomplishes this. There is the added benefit of losing weight, healing the body and gaining more self-control.
Fasting helps us create a healthy and positive frame of mind. It gives us the freedom to refocus and concentrate on God and how God works in our lives to allow us to achieve all things.
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
My beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health even as the soul prospers.
3 John 1:2
Love offerings or donations to our ministry are welcomed and appreciated. Consider sowing a seed into this great work that Safe Haven is doing. #SafeHavenischurch unusual